Author: Suzanne Woods Fisher
From the back cover: Through firsthand research and personal relationships, Suzanne Woods Fisher has collected more than 200 proverbs that uncover the rich heritage, folklore, faith, values, history and essence of the Plain People. These proverbs serve as teaching tools and maxims for practical living -- but they're not just for the Amish. They're for anyone who seeks God's wisdom and truth for everyday circumstances.
Ranging from the simple to the profound, from the serious to the humorous, these sayings will stick with you through life's joys and sorrows. With beautiful full-color photos throughout, Amish Proverbs is the perfect gift for any occassion.
My favorite proverbs from the book:
- There's only one way to fail, that's to quit.
- Swallowing words before you say them is so much better than having to eat them afterward.
- You can't stumble when you are on your knees.
- It may be difficult to wait on the Lord, but it is worse to wish you had.
- Patience is a virtue that carries a lot of wait.
Here are a couple that I remember from when I was a child:
- Children should be seen and not heard.
- What comes around goes around.
So - to enter the giveaway - please share with me a proverb from your childhood. Leave your email address in your entry so I can get in touch with you!
This giveaway is open to U.S. only and will end Sept 20. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond. If there is no response, this book will then be given away on twitter.
Publisher/Publication Date: Revell, Aug 2010