The campaign is organized for the second time by Eco-Libris, a green company working to make reading more sustainable. We invite you to join the discussion on "green" books and support books printed in an eco-friendly manner! A full list of participating blogs and links to their reviews is available on Eco-Libris website.
Title: AD/HD Success! Solutions for Boosting Self-Esteem: The Diary Method for Ages 7-17
Author: Kerin Bellak-Adams
Publisher: Loving Healing Press
About the Book: Give Kids the Power of Positive Reinforcement In AD/HD SUCCESS! Solutions for Boosting Self-Esteem, AD/HD expert Kerin Bellak-Adams presents a unique and practical method for working with children and adolescents who need to overcome some of the challenges that are frequently encountered in those with an AD/HD diagnosis. Based on her extensive experience working with families, Bellak-Adams's proven techniques boost self-esteem while helping children achieve their full potential.
Developed for ages 7 to 17, this hands-on workbook provides motivational tools that help kids experience a dramatic shift in positive attitude toward themselves, aiding them in developing new behaviors that will allow them to flourish in and out of school. Supporting exercises and worksheets help students learn time-management skills, improve communication with parents and teachers, develop accountability, increase self-discipline, and become aware of untapped strengths--putting them on the path to lifelong success! Featured in this invaluable workbook are:
- More than 50 reproducible diary pages that help children experience and acquire a positive attitudes self-image!
- Exercises that encourage children to communicate their inner thoughts, develop selfawareness, accountability, and demonstrate their courage
- Individualized step-by-step prompts that focus on time-management and many other AD/HD challenges.
- Result-oriented activities for parents and caregivers that encourage constructive, positive actions
- A customized Home/School Accountability Form for parents and teachers designed to improve daily correspondence and collaboration for Parent/Teacher conferences.
- Tools for helping teachers, student-teachers and classroom aides to identify and cope with AD/HD issues.
- Practical applications for school psychologists and clinical practitioners to be used on a one-on-one basis or in a group setting
I was asked to be part of the Eco-Libris 2nd Annual Green Books Campaign. Today, at 1pm EST, 200 bloggers will simultaneously publish reviews of 200 books printed on recycled paper or FSC-certified paper. Here is a list of participating bloggers and books.
My review: I have an 18 year old with AD/HD who graduated from high school last June. I so wish that I would have had this workbook when she was younger. It would have been a great resource to have to be able to focus on areas that my daughter was struggling with. Areas that I may not have been aware, as how much true information do we really get out of our teenage children.
There are different diary pages that are age appropriate - so regardless of the age of your child, there is no "wrong" place to start. As they get older, the pages I believe, would help them start recognizing the actions that trigger certain behaviours, not just get them do certain things. That is something I still struggle with my daughter - getting her to see how her actions affect other people - not just her.
These diary pages would not take long to complete - there are just a few questions for your child to answer or to tell how they felt with a space to write other things that might apply that had happened that day. There are very easy explanations for parents as to how to use this book - as well as online resources to make copies of the diary pages. There is also a parent evaluation at the end of the book to help with your own parenting skills when relating to your AD/HD child.
This book was printed on FSC-certified paper. It is actually heavier paper than you would find in say - a fiction book. It is very durable and is thick enough that you could write on the diary pages and not have to worry about it "leaking" through.
Publisher/Publication Date: Loving Healing Press, Jan 2010