Each story in this jubilantly acclaimed collection pays testament to the wisdom and resilience of children, even in the face of the most agonizing circumstances. A family living in a makeshift shanty in urban Kenya scurries to find gifts of any kind for the impending Christmas holiday. A Rwandan girl relates her family's struggles to maintain a facade of normalcy amid unspeakable acts. A young brother and sister cope with their uncle's attempt to sell them into slavery. Aboard a bus filled with refugees, a microcosm of today's Africa, a Muslim boy summons his faith to bear a treacherous ride across Nigeria. Through the eyes of childhood friends the emotional toll of religious conflict in Ethiopia becomes viscerally clear. Uwem Akpan's debut signals the arrival of a breathtakingly talented writer who gives a matter-of-fact reality to the most extreme circumstances in stories that are nothing short of transcendent.
Listen to an excerpt
Listen to the Interview with Uwem Akpan.
Thanks to Hachette Books I have 3 audiobooks that I can give away. This giveaway is open to U.S./Canada only - no PO Boxes. This giveaway ends 12/7 at 11:59PM CST.
PLEASE NOTE THAT MY RULES CHANGED EARLIER THIS MONTH - BE SURE TO READ DIRECTIONS SO THAT YOU GET ALL YOUR ENTRIES.
2. +1 leave a comment with your email address - must leave email address at least once for any of your comments to count. (leave one comment)
3. +1 New follower (leave one comment)
3. +2 for a Tweet - please leave link - can tweet daily. (leave 2 comments)
4. +3 Old follower (email/google/twitter/facebook/blogged) (leave 3 comments)
5. +3 for a side bar post - leave link (leave 3 comments)
6. +5 For a blog post - not a side bar - leave link. (leave 5 comments)
i.e. If something is worth 5 entries - please leave 5 comments. I am using a numbering system now on my comments to try to streamline the drawing of winners. I either have to start doing it this way - or cut down on my giveaways. I hate to cut down on the giveaways so I am transferring part of the work to you guys.
Any questions or suggestions on a better way to do this, please email me at kherbrand @ comcast . net (w/o the spaces)